Article body analysed

By WILL GRIFFEE Published: 22: 56 AEDT, 14 February 2026 | Updated: 22: 56 AEDT, 14 February 2026 View comments Cristiano Ronaldo is 'very easy' to manage, insists Portugal boss Roberto Martinez - with the 40-year-old set to end his Saudi Pro League strike.   Ronaldo, 41, who is paid £488, 000 per day,  missed three matches on his strike after being furious at Al-Nassr's lack of spending on transfers compared to their rivals. The legendary forward has fallen out with various managers throughout his stellar career, notably orchestrating an explosive exit from Man United under Erik ten Hag.   And his recent strike as the best-paid and jewel in the crown of the Saudi Pro League has put him in the centre of another storm.   Ronaldo has been included in Al-Nassr's squad to take on Al-Fateh on Saturday and the dramatic episode appears to be over but is the latest example of his capacity to cause chaos.   But his national boss insists Ronaldo is in no way a difficult character to manage.   Roberto Martinez (right) insists Cristiano Ronaldo is 'very easy' to manage  Ronaldo has been reintegrated into Al-Nassr's playing squad following his strike He told BBC Sport: 'It is very easy, because of his high standards, his expectations of how the work should be done and his commitment to the game.   'He truly is an example of what you should do to represent Portugal and the national team. And now he's adapted, obviously, after 21 years in the national team - he's adjusted.   'He's a goalscorer, he's an important player for us, and it's the player that he is now that is important for me.   'As a national team coach, a player that has scored 25 goals in the last 30 international games. .. it's not that he's playing because of what he's done in the past, it's what he's done now. ' Ronaldo is set to play a key role under Martinez at this summer's World Cup in the US, his final outing at the major tournament in which glory has eluded him.   For now, his attention returns to the Saudi Pro League, where he has made serious waves over the last fortnight.   His frustration grew deeper when Al-Nassr's title rivals Al-Hilal were allowed to sign his old Real Madrid team-mate Karim Benzema from Al-Ittihad. The key context in all of this is that all three clubs, as well as Al-Ahli, are majority controlled by the Saudi Public Investment Fund (PIF). Ronaldo was absent for three games on his strike but his presence was still deeply felt Ronaldo has reportedly been aggrieved that Al-Hilal have a net spend £180million higher than that of his own team since the 2022-23 season, when he arrived. And then, a light-hearted text from Benzema only intensified his exasperation, according to The Telegraph.    Benzema was reported to have jokingly told Ronaldo that he had received a pay-rise by moving from Al-Ittihad to Al-Hilal, before adding that he was going to win the Saudi Pro League again. The French forward won the league last year with Al-Ittihad, with Ronaldo's Al-Nassr languishing 13 points off the pace in third. Benzema's new side are top of the Saudi Pro League and four points clear of Ronaldo's outfit, who sit third. Ronaldo is still searching for his first major trophy since joining in 2023.   Re-integrating Ronaldo is certainly a boost for Al-Nassr and also the Saudi Arabian football authorities, who want their league to appear as appealing as possible.   The worst-case scenario for them is that Ronaldo leaves before his contract expires in 2027.   In December, he hinted that he could finish his career elsewhere, saying: 'my passion is high and I want to continue. 'It doesn't matter where I play, whether in the Middle East or Europe. ' A recent statement shared with Daily Mail Sport from the league suggested that Ronaldo's grievances were unfounded. Ronaldo and his family are settled in the Gulf State, where he has become the world's highest-paid professional footballer 'The Saudi Pro League is structured around a simple principle: every club operates independently under the same rules, ' they said. 'Clubs have their own boards, their own executives and their own football leadership. Decisions on recruitment, spending and strategy sit with those clubs, within a financial framework designed to ensure sustainability and competitive balance. That framework applies equally across the league. 'Cristiano has been fully engaged with Al Nassr since his arrival and has played an important role in the club's growth and ambition. Like any elite competitor, he wants to win. But no individual - however significant - determines decisions beyond their own club. ' The spokesperson added that recent transfer activity had 'demonstrated that independence clearly'.

Share what you think

No comments have so far been submitted. Why not be the first to send us your thoughts,

or debate this issue live on our message boards.

By posting your comment you agree to our house rules. Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual.   Do you want to automatically post your Mail Online comments to your Facebook Timeline? Your comment will be posted to Mail Online as usual We will automatically post your comment and a link to the news story to your Facebook timeline at the same time it is posted on Mail Online. To do this we will link your Mail Online account with your Facebook account. We’ll ask you to confirm this for your first post to Facebook. You can choose on each post whether you would like it to be posted to Facebook. Your details from Facebook will be used to provide you with tailored content, marketing and ads in line with our Privacy Policy.